Professor of Pediatrics and Associate Director for External Relations and Strategic Projects, Cincinnati Children’s Research Foundation
The Arnold W. Strauss Fellow Award, sponsored by the Office of Pediatric Clinical Fellowships and the Office of Postdoctoral Affairs, is a one-year $10,000 funding opportunity awarded to three Clinical Fellows (MDs) and three Postdoctoral Fellows. It was instituted in 2014 in honor of Dr. Arnold Strauss’ tireless efforts at advocacy and championship towards higher education at Cincinnati Children’s.
Throughout much of his career, Strauss conducted his own groundbreaking research into mitochondrial proteins and the genetic causes of congenital heart disease and cardiomyopathy. His research efforts were rewarded with continuous NIH funding, hundreds of publications and prestigious awards that included the E. Mead Johnson Award for Excellence in Pediatric Research and the American Heart Association’s Basic Science Research Award.
Award Guidelines for Clinical Fellows
- Applications are preferably submitted by Clinical Fellows in any specialty prior to the beginning of the applicant’s final year of fellowship training.
- Applications from fellows earlier in their training will also be considered.
- Successful candidates will have a strong commitment to research, a clear mentorship structure in place, and a distinct plan for their research proposal.
- Funding of all research areas will be considered.
- The anticipated outcomes of the Arnold W. Strauss Fellow Award are the successful transition to an NIH K award, K-equivalent award from foundations or industry, other early career funding, and publications in peer-reviewed journals. A clear plan for how the applicant will achieve these outcomes should be included in the career development plan.
- Progress reports will be required during and after the award period.
Download the submission form and guidelines
The deadline for submission is May 1st, 2017, at 11:59 pm. Please send a single, completed pdf submission file to Jill Loch at email@example.com.