Registered dietitians provide individual nutrition counseling and group nutrition education sessions to help each child and teen improve their eating habits. Our dietitians help families set realistic, step-by-step goals that build healthy eating habits, selecting an eating plan that best fits their lifestyle and accounts for their child’s likes and dislikes. Parents and other caregivers play a key role in providing the support and encouragement needed for their child or teen to eat better, improve their health and achieve a healthier weight.
In the group education sessions, parents/caregivers and their children participate in hands-on nutrition activities, including:
- Food tastings
- Menu planning
- Recipe rehab
- Grocery store tours
The goal of these classes is to expand the variety of healthy foods prepared, served and eaten at home. These sessions will also focus on age-sized portions, plus making healthier choices when eating away from home.
What kind of eating plan will my child follow?
During the first nutrition visit, a registered dietitian will learn about the current eating style of the young person and their family. Then together, the family, young person and dietitian will choose an eating plan that meets their nutrition and family needs. Our proven eating plans adapt to meet the cultural needs of our families.
Eating plans in the HealthWorks! nutrition program are:
- Healthy Eating Plan – a “traffic-light” approach that groups foods by their glycemic index (GI)
- Staged Approach – nutrient-balanced, portion-controlled
- Calorie-specific eating plans
- Modified low-carbohydrate plan
- Individualized eating plan
Healthy Weight Is a Family Affair
To reach and stay at a healthy weight, a young person needs the support of family and caregivers. We include and involve parents and family members in our program as much as possible with the following:
Nutrition Classes offered at Cincinnati Children’s Main Hospital Campus
- Group nutrition education sessions: Families participate in ‘hands-on” nutrition activities that are designed to teach families about delicious ways of cooking healthy. Food tastings, hands on cooking, age-appropriate serving sizes and eating away from home are a few of the topics we cover.
- Main Campus - The Herald Building
1st Floor Community Conference Room, 3440 Burnet Avenue, Cincinnati, OH 45229
- Northern Kentucky
2765 Chapel Place, Crestview Hills, KY 41017
- Green Township
5899 Harrison Ave. Cincinnati, OH 45248
- Liberty Township
7777 Yankee Rd. Liberty Township, OH 45044
Eating Healthy Resources
Kick-start your child’s healthy eating habits with tasty meal ideas. Use the links below for great recipes to last you through the week and beyond!