Resources to Help Ease Treatment
The Immune Deficiency and Histiocytosis Program at Cincinnati Children’s encourages families to take advantage of the following resources.
Family Support Network
The Patient & Family Wellness Center at Cincinnati Children’s includes specialists from Child Life, Financial Services, Pastoral Care, the School Intervention Program and Social Work. They can provide:
- Emotional, psychosocial and spiritual support
- Assistance with school concerns
- Community outreach and education
- Information about additional resources (financial, insurance, community)
Guest Services at Cincinnati Children’s helps make a stay in Cincinnati more comfortable and convenient. We provide assistance with lodging, ground transportation and other concerns.
Our Clinical Concierge team schedules multiple medical appointments for families traveling to Cincinnati Children’s from outside the region.
The Cancer and Blood Diseases Institute at Cincinnati Children’s hosts a week-long summer camp every year at Joy Outdoor Education Center in Clarksville, OH. The staff works closely with the Cincinnati Children’s medical team to create a safe, supportive environment for children, no matter what their abilities. The camp is an opportunity for kids ages 7-16 to develop new skills, form lasting friendships and build their self-esteem, all while having a great time. Patients are encouraged to bring a sibling. See details and request registration packet.
Several organizations provide families and patients with immune system disorders with extensive support, advocacy and education. These include:
- The Clinical Immunology Society, which fosters developments in the science and practice of clinical immunology
- Histiocytosis Association, which provides education and support to families affected by histiocytic disorders, including HLH and LCH
- The Immune Deficiency Foundation, which provides education and support to families affected by primary immunodeficiencies
- The Jeffrey Modell Foundation, which strives to improve the prompt and accurate diagnosis of primary immunodeficiencies
Our team members, including physicians and social workers, will make additional recommendations for resources that may benefit you and your family.