What Care is Needed after a Blood Product Transfusion?
Thanks to modern blood bank procedures, few people have symptoms after transfusion of blood products. There is still a chance of complications though, even if your child has had a blood transfusion before or gets premedicated before receiving blood. Most reactions are not common and can most often be easily managed.
If your child has symptoms after receiving a blood product, call your doctor or nurse right away.
- Fever over 100.4 degrees F (38 degrees C) by mouth
- Chills, headache, upset belly, loose stools or back pain
- Dark colored urine
- Hives, itching, wheezing or shortness of breath
- Swelling of feet or ankles
- Has a cough that was not there before the transfusion
- Tingling of the hands and feet