Cincinnati Children's offers guidance and information for specific conditions and how they may be impacted for the coronavirus. Remember to always contact your child's care team if you have additional questions and concerns.
How COVID-19 Affects Your Condition
Information for All Patients
What is coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19)?
Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) is a respiratory illness that can spread from person to person. The virus that causes COVID-19 is a novel coronavirus that has spread worldwide on six continents.
What are the symptoms my child may have?
Symptoms may appear two to 14 days after exposure:
- Shortness of breath
How can I protect my family?
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Avoid crowds in situations like community or sporting events, movies, church gatherings or playgroups.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash and wash your hands.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds (making sure to get between fingers and under fingernails), especially after going to the bathroom; before eating; and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing.
- Face masks should be used by people who show symptoms of COVID-19. The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) does not recommend that people who are well wear a face mask to protect themselves from respiratory diseases, including COVID-19.