Researchers in the Division of Developmental Biology are focused on five main areas of investigation:
- Molecular embryology: How do molecular, genetic and cellular mechanisms govern cell behavior and pattern formation during development?
- Neurobiology: How do the peripheral and central nervous systems develop? How do intrinsic and extrinsic factors influence behavior?
- Organ development and disease: What are the processes that direct the formation of organs during normal embryonic development? What causes abnormal development?
- Protein structure and function: What are the molecular mechanisms underlying normal organ development? How might these processes be disrupted in disease states?
- Stem cells, regeneration and repair: Which stem and progenitor cells promote regeneration? How can we manipulate them to generate tissues for transplantation?