Comprehensive Care from an Expert Team of Specialists
At the Cincinnati Children’s Fetal Care Center, our experts in maternal-fetal medicine, neonatology and fetal surgery share a passion for providing exceptional, comprehensive care for mothers and babies experiencing high-risk pregnancies or complex fetal conditions.
Our team knows patients and their families are sometimes dealing with difficult decisions and may be fearful of the future. To help relieve those worries and concerns, we strive to create and maintain an atmosphere of compassion.
Comprehensive Evaluation and Definitive Diagnosis
Our specialists use a variety of high-tech tools to assess and diagnose fetal conditions. Most commonly, we use:
- Targeted fetal ultrasound: This noninvasive tool gives doctors detailed images of your baby.
- Fetal echocardiogram: This high-resolution 3D and 4D ultrasound test can diagnose complex heart abnormalities.
- Fetal magnetic resonance imaging (MRI): This sophisticated tool helps doctors identify structural abnormalities that older tests would miss.
Personalized Treatment Recommendations
Every pregnancy—every mother, every baby—is different. To meet your specific needs, the Fetal Care Center offers the most current diagnostic capabilities and a complete array of treatment options. Our goal is to improve outcomes and enhance the long-term quality of life for our patients.
- High-risk pregnancy management
- Genetic and prenatal counseling
- Management of fetal arrhythmias
- Preventive therapies, including intrauterine transfusion and fetal shunt therapy
Fetal Surgical Interventions
- Minimally invasive fetoscopic surgery
- Selective fetal laser procedures
- Radiofrequency ablation
- Cardiac procedures
- Open fetal surgery for rare and life-threatening conditions
- Ex-utero intrapartum treatment (EXIT) procedures
OB Clinic and Special Delivery Unit
In many cases, having a high-risk pregnancy means you need more extensive prenatal services that may not be available with your local providers. If our experts determine you would benefit from high-risk obstetric (OB) care, our OB Clinic may be an option for you. It’s designed to give you the care you need—from prenatal counseling to testing to management—in one location.
We can also care for your needs during and after delivery. If your baby needs advanced medical care or surgery right after birth, you may be able to deliver your child at Cincinnati Children’s Fetal Care Center’s Special Delivery Unit. It’s one of the only birthing centers in the world located inside a pediatric hospital. Our fetal neonatologists and specialists are on-hand to evaluate your baby and help determine needed care without having to transfer your baby away from you to another hospital.
Postnatal and Long-Term Follow-Up Care
Many of our patients continue to need long-term medical care after birth. The Fetal Care Center collaborates with several other Cincinnati Children’s clinics to ensure you and your child receive the services you need.
- Neonatal Intensive Care Unit
- Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia (CDH) Long-Term Follow-Up Clinic
- Heart Institute
- Posterior Urethral Valve (PUV) Center
- Colorectal Center
- Intestinal Rehabilitation Program
- Spina Bifida Center