What to Expect
Before scheduling your appointment, your child must have a referral for physical therapy.
Prior to Your First Appointment
- Please arrive 15 minutes prior to your initial evaluation in order to complete registration
- Please wear comfortable, loose-fitting clothes:
- Shorts for lower extremity visits
- Tank tops or short sleeve shirt for upper extremity visits
- Please wear athletic shoes (no sandals)
- Parents / guardians must accompany patient to the initial evaluation
- Please bring your child’s insurance card
- Please familiarize yourself with your insurance benefits prior to treatment. For questions, read our Billing Information.
- Please bring your calendar to schedule follow-up appointments
During Your Visits
- Each visit lasts approximately 45 minutes to 1 hour
- At the initial evaluation, the following will be performed:
- You and your child will be asked questions about your child’s condition or injury
- Your physical therapist will perform measurements and testing specific to your child’s condition in order to create an individualized care plan
- After the evaluation, your physical therapist will:
- Determine how often they would like to see you for follow-up physical therapy visits
- Provide your child with a home program focused on their goals
- Spend time discussing how physical therapy may help your child
- At each follow-up visit:
- Your child will be instructed in a personalized program that may include exercises to improve strength, flexibility, coordination, balance, or daily activities. Your child’s individualized physical therapy (PT) program will progress appropriately throughout the duration of care with collaborative efforts between your referring provider and your physical therapist
Scheduling for follow-up appointments may be done following the initial evaluation. Times after school and in the morning will be available for follow-up visits.