Gastrointestinal (GI) Pathology Services
Hospitals throughout the region depend on the experienced and highly trained pathologists at Cincinnati Children’s to diagnose pediatric gastrointestinal (GI) diseases. Our pathologists also receive consultation cases from around the nation and around the world.
Cincinnati Children’s Hospital's pediatric pathology GI services have focused for decades on diagnosis of pediatric GI diseases and research into those diseases. Our experienced pathologists work closely with clinicians in our specialized centers to provide state of the art care. Our specialized centers include:
These centers are components of our Division of Gastroenterology, Hepatology & Nutrition which is consistently ranked among the best providers of pediatric gastrointestinal care in the United States. Our Surgery Department includes the Colorectal Center that provides cutting-edge care for children with colorectal abnormalities. Depending on the situation, pathologists and the laboratory staff may pursue specialized ultrastructural, immunohistochemical, histochemical, cytogenetic, and molecular studies, among others.
In addition, our pathologists have decades of experience in clinical trials and novel therapies in children with GI related diseases.
Our Areas of Expertise
- Celiac disease.
- Hirschsprung’s disease.
- Eosinophilic gastrointestinal disorders (EGID), including eosinophilic esophagitis (EoE).
- Necrotizing enterocolitis .
- Congenital enteropathies (e. g., epithelial dysplasia (“tufting” enteropathy), microvillus inclusion disease).
- Inflammatory bowel diseases.
- Small bowel transplant.
- Polyposis syndromes (e.g. PTEN hamartoma syndrome).
- Autoimmune enteropathy.
- Chronic granulomatous disease.
- Common variable immunodeficiency.
- Graft-vs-host disease.